Wednesday, October 31, 2012

CzechMates SuperDuo Bands

Variations of a Pattern


I've adapted Deborah Roberti's Tila SuperDuo Bands pattern to work with the new CzechMates Tile beads.


Deb's patterns are so easy to follow, with step by step instructions and illustrations.  She often provides versions of the pattern, like the three shown above.  This particular pattern even includes a sheet of blank grids so that beaders can create their own unique patterns in the SuperDuo beads section of the bands.

Shown in this pattern are the wider, more rounded SuperDuo beads.  The examples below were done using the more tapered SuperDuo beads and with CzechMates Tile beads instead of Miyuki Tila beads.  





SuperDuo beads vary by manufacturer - the beads on the left are the larger 2.5x5mm and rounder SuperDuos.  The beads on the right are the tapered, smaller 2x5mm beads.


Miyuki introduced the first tile shaped beads, Tila beads.  More recently, CzechMates have hit the bead scene.  Shown on the left, Miyuki Tila beads are 5x5x1.9mm.  They have sharp corners and two parallel holes.  The CzechMates, shown on the right are slightly larger, 6x6x3 with rounded edges and corners.

For the first variation, I chose to use one of the newest SuperDuo colors, Umber.  I started with matching CzechMate CZTWN06-13610 Umber tiles


Deb's pattern calls for two color of the SuperDuo beads, but I used three here to created waves of Umber colors.  The first SuperDuo color is TSD-13610 Umber, the next color is TSD-AM1361 Matte Apollo Umber and the last color is TSD-T13610 - Umber Picasso.  The pattern calls for three 11/0 seed beads on top of each tile bead, but since the CzechMates are larger than Miyuki Tila beads, I used an extra seed bead to connect the CzechMates together and give a continuous look to the "fringe".  I used 11RR457L Miyuki M Light Bronze Rocailles.  With Fall in full swing, this bracelet will go nicely with many Fall fashions.



The second version I did was another one of the newly released SuperDuo colors, TSD-16314 Coated Marea Peacock/Gold.  The name says it all, these really look like Peacock beads!


I decided to play off the Gold in the beads and paired them with CZTWN06-K0172 Matte Metallic Aztec Gold CzechMates.  Even though the pattern called for two colors of the SuperDuo beads, the Peacock beads have so many variations of color, I decided to use only one "color", but the effect is a multi-colored beauty.  Instead of size 11/0 seed beads, I substituted size 10/0 Triangle beads 10TR1126 ICL* Amber/Amber.  The triangle beads are the perfect size to work with CzechMate Tiles in this pattern.

My next version moved to the purple side.  I chose the CZTWN06-P15695 Luster Opaque Gold/Smoky Topaz -that have a slight tinge of lavender.


I paired the matching TSD-P15695 SuperDuo beads and TSD-TSD-P65401 Opaque Luster Picasso.  I like the Triangle bead combo so much I went with 10TR1839 ICL Gold/Amethyst to highlight the purple in the gold/smoky topaz color.

Lastly I chose another one of the newly released SuperDuo colors, TSD-3009 Cobalt.


I used CZTWN06-21435 Iris Blue CzechMates and paired them with TSD-P65431 Opaque Luster Green - the name is Green but the color is more grey.  And I finished this piece off with 10TR1101 TSL Silver triangle beads.  I like to use the TSL Silver color - the beads keep their nice shine and there are no worries of tarnish.

The same pattern and four very different versions - if you haven't yet added this pattern to your bead stash, I highly recommend adding it.



Happy Beading!

Betsy

1 comment:

  1. Hi,Betsy:
    Very interesting designs with the use of beads with double holes.Nice examples of patterns and beads.Many of them I haven't used yet.I'll have to get the closer look into that matter,as the new Tilas seem to have nice,smooth shapes.The colors are also stunning.I can see,that 'playing' with them can be a real pleasure.
    Warm Greetings-Halinka-

    ReplyDelete